How to Remove/Kill Black Mold
Not many things can be more annoying and dangerous to not only your home, but your health than black mold. No other mold comes close.
Black mold, stachybotrys chartarum, is a form of mold that can be hazardous to your home and health if it’s not contained quickly. This type of mold is fast spreading and is typically found in damp, dark areas. This mold is more dangerous than other types of mold found in the home.
Prolonged exposure to black mold can cause the following health issues:
2. Sinus infections
3. Tiredness and discomfort
4. Neurological problems
5. May cause kidney and liver cancer
Because of the health risks posed by black mold, it is important to remove this substance as soon as possible. Here are some steps to help you remove black mold from your home.
Find the Mold
Finding the areas of your home that contain the mold may seem like an obvious statement. However, this mold is more than likely to be found in hidden areas of the home. Black mold is known to be found the flooring, between walls, in cabinets and around sinks. Warped boards, discolored ceilings and warped odor may signal the presence of mold. Black mold is greenish-black in color. If it is present, do not have direct contact with it.
Dehumidify the Area
Black mold needs moisture to survive. Eliminating the moisture kills existing mold spores. Wet-dry vacuums and dehumidifiers are two important tools to have that will remove the moisture from the area. Use the vacuum to remove any water from the area. The dehumidifier will remove moisture from any objects in the room and the walls. Portable heaters can also help dry out the area.
Make a Bleach Cleaning Solution
Normal cleaning solutions will not kill mold spores; you will need to make a bleach solution. Because bleach can be irritating when it comes in contact with your skin, use protective gear when you handle it. The solution should consist of ¾ cups of bleach for every gallon of water. Pour the solution into a spray bottle for use. Get a second spray bottle and fill it with water.
Spray Any Visible Mold
Spray all of the areas where you found black mold. Spray the area starting from the top, working your way down. Be careful not to oversaturate the area. Ironically, spraying too much solution will create the conditions that caused the mold to grow. After you spray the mold, let the solution sit for around 15 minutes. Use a disposable rag or paper towels to clean the surface. If the towel gets dirty during the process, discard it. Using dirty cloths could result in putting the mold back onto the surface. Use the spray bottle filled with water to rinse the surface to remove any bleach from it. If the mold is not entirely removed, repeat the process. Throw the rags you used in the garbage once you have finished.
Vacuum Away Dead Mold
Once the surface dries, use a HEPA vacuum and remove the mold spores and dead mold. Do not use a regular household vacuum. These vacuum cleaners are not designed to remove mold and may allow the spores to reenter the air. If the vacuum cleaner has a bag, remove the bag after using it.
Mold can pose serious health hazards. If you notice any black mold in your home, remove it immediately. Following these steps is going to help you eliminate the mold. For situations where the mold problem is extensive, you may want to consult a professional to be safe.